To avoid having cavities or other diseases that affect your gums and mouth, follow these simple tips.
Sometimes taking care of our oral health becomes so routine that it is not done in the best way. To avoid having cavities or other diseases of the mouth, pay attention to these 10 simple tips that will help you maintain effective oral hygiene.
1. Regular checkup. See the dentist at least once a year, at least, and from a very early age, since caries can manifest itself after the first tooth comes in.
2. Brush three times a day. Brush your teeth three times a day, after each meal. Essentially: before going to bed and after getting up in the morning.
3. Use fluoride toothpaste. It is recommended to use a fluoride toothpaste to prevent the appearance of cavities.
4. Brush with your head. The correct brushing consists of making short, smooth, and elliptical movements, without forgetting the gum line, the posterior teeth (which are difficult to access), and the areas surrounding the crowns of the teeth and fillings (fillings). Don’t share your toothbrush. The exchange of body fluids that this would promote, increases the risk of contracting infections for those who share them. This is a particularly important consideration for people with compromised immune systems or with infectious diseases.
5. Replace your brush often. Experts recommend renewing the toothbrush every three months to avoid periodontal disease.
6. Don’t forget the dental floss. Floss your teeth daily; The best time to use it is at night, since the absence of salivation while sleeping favors the action of the bacterial plaque.
7. Rinse off. Mouthwashes or mouthwashes are an important help in keeping your mouth healthy and avoiding pathologies and infections. Remember that these do not replace the proper brushing of your teeth.
8. Eat a healthy diet. A varied and balanced diet also helps to strengthen the immune system so that it can defend itself against any infection in the oral cavity. Limit snacking between meals.
9. The chewing gums help you. If you eat away from home and can’t brush your teeth, turn to sugarless gum, particularly those that use xylitol as a sweetening agent (it has a certain bactericidal action). Stimulating salivary secretion leaves your teeth in contact with the best anti-caries agent that exists: your own saliva.
10. Do not abuse bleach. Although they are effective in brightening teeth, when used excessively and continuously they can damage the enamel.